Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Cookie Mishap....hey, nobody's perfect!

Every so often I like to try a new cookies recipe to keep myself interested and on my toes. I've been eyeing this "fruit dream" recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks for a while, and in theory, it sounded like a great idea....

Basically, it's a sugar cookie dough, with about a 1/2 cup of fruit drink mix. The Drink mix should give the cookies a tart, intense, fruity flavor. Unfortunately, mine were a bit too tart, and WAY too intense.

Maybe it was my choice of "Crystal Light, Strawberry energy" drink mix that was at fault....
But it sure smelled delicious at the beginning. Joe likened it to Strawberry Quick, I really thought I had a winner....




Looks delicious enough right? Wrong.




I tried a bit of the cookie dough as I was shaping the cookies, and I noticed a tangy, odd, gross aftertaste. In that order. There was actually a gradual progression to gross as you chewed the cookies....

This did not improve after baking. Very weird. The first couple of chews were kinda tasty, then the weird....then the gross aftertaste.

Yuck. Joe actually said "I wouldn't feed those to anybody." I agreed. Although I did make my poor friend Kim at work try one, so someone else could understand the weirdness....

I don't think I'll give up totally on this recipe. I may give it a shot again with something easy like lemonade mix. I would advise against using anything with an artificial sweetener (such as Crystal Light Energy). I believe that was where things went awry.

Unfortunately, I made these gross cookies for a reason, because Joe's sister was coming over for dinner with her hubby, and kiddos. Clearly I had to think fast....


And some snickerdoodles for good measure.... (http://shan-thecookiemonster.blogspot.com/2010/01/old-favorite.html)

Can't go wrong with the tried-and-true staples. Success.




Stay tuned for fruit dream cookies round 2. I'm feeling good about the lemonade option, we'll see how it goes.

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. I heard the were mmmmm good...sorry for the mishap on the first batch of cookies I'm sure the directions were wrong cuz it couldn't have been anything you did ..ALWAYS GREAT COOKIES...blame the recipe

    ReplyDelete