Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Snack Attack Cookies


My Friend Kirsten has a fabulous food blog (http://www.morecheesemorechocolate.com/) and she wrote about a cookie recipe MONTHS ago that I've been dying to try. Her "compost cookies" incorporated 3 types of "snack foods" and 3 types of "baking items" all rolled into one big chunk of yummy cookie dough.
It's a rainy Sunday afternoon, so I decided I would finally give these cookies a shot. They sound a little weird, so I just went for half of a batch, and I wasn't as brave as Kirsten, who actually used bacon as one of her "snack foods." Instead I opted for Goldfish, tortilla chips, and pretzel sticks, along side Heath bar toffee bits, coconut, and chocolate chunks.
Ingredients: (double this for a full batch of cookies)

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 + brown sugar (slightly more than 1/3)
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4+ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups snack food (1/4 cup of each)
3/4 cup baking stuff (1/4 cup of each)
First off, cream together your butter and sugars.

Then slowly add in your dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed.
When the dough is evenly mixed throw in all your crazy ingredients. I was pretty happy with this selection, although the options are endless. Maybe next time I'll through in some honey roasted peanuts or cashews, raisins, white chocolate. Oh the possibilities!
Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour before baking. This is a must for this recipe, as the cookies will spread out quite a bit while baking, so getting the dough cold is an essential structural step ;)Measure out your cookies and roll them into small tablespoon sized balls, and place them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Definitely use parchment for these, and definitely give them plenty of room on the sheet.
The Recipe said to bake them at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Mine got quite crispy after 9. I think next time I would bake them at 375 for 9 minutes. I had a few burn victims.

Let cool, and enjoy! Joe and I polished off about half of these pretty instantly. I think these may be a new staple. I wonder how sour cream and onion potato chips would taste in here. hmmmm.....

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad you liked them. I just made a bacon-free batch a couple weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete