Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green for St. Paddy's


In honor of my Irish roots (which are far fewer than my first name might suggest) I decided to make some green cookies for St. Paddy's Day. Joe's mom and grandma are coming over for dinner, so for dessert I whipped up an old favorite of mine: Lime Sugar cookies.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lime zest (about 2 limes worth of zesting)
1 egg
1/4tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

First things first, rinse and zest your limes. The original recipe called for 1 Tablespoon of zestiness, but I doubled it, as the flavor is very mild as it is. If you're gonna make cookies with green specks in them, they better taste like something green. Otherwise people will be afraid.

In retrospect, I should have had some coronas on hand so my poor little bald lime wouldn't go to waste. Sorry buddy.

Cream together the butter, sugar, and lime zest. Scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
Next add the egg and vanilla. I also added a little bit of green food coloring at this stage, you know, to be festive.

Mix in the dry ingredients until the dough comes together. At this point I sampled quite a bit of the cookie dough, very tangy and delicious.

Roll the cookies into 1 inch balls, then roll in granulated sugar. Wow, those suckers are green.

Place the balls about 1.5 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. they'll need some room as they will spread out quite a bit. I mean seriously, I think I could make a cookie dough version of "Gumby" with this stuff. maybe next time.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes until the edges start to brown. Place on a cooling rack until set.

And enjoy! These are great summery cookies and would also be a good pool-party type treat.
Happy St. Paddy's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment