Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Vanilla Rounds with Chocolate Buttercream



This weekend Joe's dad threw us a little engagement party at his house, as an opportunity for our parents to meet each other and our siblings etc... I figured I would try out a new recipe for the event, since per-usual I didn't want to show up empty handed. I love sandwich cookies, and I love butter cream frosting, so I thought I'd give these little delightful cookies a shot....

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 3/4 cups flour

Cream together the butter and cream cheese, then add the cup of sugar.


Add in the vanilla, eggs, salt and baking soda.



Add in the flour and mix until just blended. Separate the dough into two balls, and refrigerate for 2 hours. I myself just stuck them in the freezer fr like 10 minutes. It seemed to work just fine.

Once the dough is easy to handle, roll it out to about 1/8 of an inch thick. Then cut out your cookies using a 1 1/2 inch round cookie cutter.....
Place about 1/2 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.


Then bake at 375 for about 7 minutes, or until the edges start turning a light brown.

Yum.
While the cookies are cooling, whip up your chocolate butter cream....

Mayhem in the kitchen....

For the Buttercream:
1/2 cup butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk.
This stuff was mighty tasty.
Put a scant amount of frosting on the bottom side of one cookie, then sandwich.

They're like a reverse Oreo. Pretty good!

And here's us with our engagement cake, clearly it is way too pretty to have been decorated by yours truly....This was a pro-job.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment