In the culmination of my self proclaimed Macaron Month, I finally achieved a (almost) fully successful Macaron endeavor! Hooray for me! I only had about 15-20% crackage on this go around, which is far better than the 50% crackage rate of my previous attempts. I followed some helpful tips from my fellow food blogger and KKG Kirsten, tried out a new flavor, and all and all had a successful baking afternoon. Huzzah.
115 grams blanched almond flour
230 grams powdered sugar
144 grams egg whites
72 grams sugar
2 tsp Strawberry Flavoring
1/2 tsp salt
a smidgen of pink gel coloring
Following the same process for the most part as the First Round of Macarons this month, I worked on my meringue, and then folded in my measure almond flour and powder sugar.
Ah. Lovely. I think some of the cracking issue may have been a mixing issue. As in I was undermixing before. So I made sure I got everything well incorporated.
Very focused pregnant baker. Haha. More after the jump.
Okay, so after all the piping was done, I smacked my cookie trays on the counter a few times, hard, and then at Kirsten's suggestion let them hang out for about 20 minutes on the counter. The theory behind this is that a shell like coating will form on the top that will prevent the cookies from cracking. I think it worked.
Booyah. Top sheet. No Crack victims
Bottom sheet.....a few crack victims, but FAR less than before. I think it may still be a heat issue, and perhaps I need to dial down the temp to 285 or so (I baked this batch at 290 for 19 minutes).
I decided to go with a strawberry buttercream frosting, just using strawberry jam. Very easy. Pretty tasty. Although I think maybe just a classic vanilla buttercream would have made a nice "Strawberries and cream" situation. Next time.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup strawberry jam
3 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk
tiny bit of pink food coloring.
Then its sandwiching time again! Woohoo!