Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Orange-Coconut Macaroons

Happy Weekend! After a lazy afternoon that involved team-napping with my elderly cat, I decided to whip up some Coconut Macaroons (one of my FAVORITES). I usually make these with dried cranberries and orange zest, but seeing as I had neither of those ingredients on hand, I thought I'd just use orange extract, with some chocolate drizzle action.

Ingredients:

2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons Orange Extract
2 egg whites
dash salt
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
3 ounces bakers chocolate
1 tsp shortening


Whisk together your egg whites, sugar extract and salt in a large bowl until evenly blended.


Next, fold in your coconut until it's evenly moistened.


Roll your Coconut into balls, and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. (I baked for 15 and it was too long, I had some burn victims). Meanwhile, melt together your chocolate and shortening over low heat.





I decided to use a pastry bag to make my drizzle a little neater, you can also just use a spoon...



Yum. A little on the dark side, but they still taste good. :)



drizzle your chocolate over the macaroons once they've cooled off a bit, and you're done!




Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment: