Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Banana Cake

Saturday night I attended a birthday gathering for my (Step mom in law?) Husband's Step Mom's 50th birthday.  I decided I would make some kind of a cake for the occasion, but I figured there would already be a birthday cake present.  As I pondered baking ideas for the event, my eyes wandered to the counter where I spotted these:

Over-ripe inspiration!  Banana cake it is!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 mashed bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon



First odd, mix together the butter and sugar, then add in your eggs one at a time.  This is actually a banana bread recipe that I made more "cake-like" by adding another egg and sifting the flour.  And adding frosting, that seems to help too ;)

After that's mixed together well, add in your bananas and vanilla.

Sift your flour and add it into the mixing bowl, mixing at medium low-speed.  Along with the rest of thew ingredients.  Mix until it comes together evenly.

Bake for about 1 hour (I would check it at 50 minutes as ovens tend to vary) when the middle is set and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, it is done!


This cake also gave me a chance to break in my new bread pan from Williams and Sonoma, courtesy of my friend Wilcox. Thanks dude ;)

Next, I whipped up a quick vanilla butter cream frosting, and got to work.....



I managed to only eat, you know, like 5 tablespoons of frosting out of the bowl....


I sprinkled the top of my cake with some shredded white chocolate a little cocoa powder, and then moved it to a clean, pretty plate.




This was pretty delicious!  I'm sorry I never got a picture of it sliced, I mean to take one this morning of my leftover piece, but I remembered after I ate it for breakfast.  Woops.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment