Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Coffee Snap Cookies

Happy hump day blog readers!  Time for me to share one of my all-time favorite cookies.  I don't know why I love these so much, but I do.  They are different and light and super yummy with a nice cup of coffee or tea.  The recipe is slightly adapted from the frequently mentioned Ultimate Cookie Book.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash salt
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon hot water
1 egg
2 cups flour
sugar for dusting
whole coffee beans (about 36)


First off, cream together your butter, shortening and sugars until well blended. (Check out the action shot). Add in your baking powder and salt.


Next up dissolve your instant coffee in 1 tablespoon of hot water.  Then add that into your butter mixture, along with the egg.


Form your dough into 3 7-inch long logs.  The width of the log will be the size of your cookie, so don't go too thin.  Then it's time to chill the dough.  I stuck mine in the freezer for about an hour or so.

While the dough was chilling, I got my little work station set up, complete with a cup of coffee and baileys.  Yum.

Start slicing your cookies about 1/4 inch in width.  They will spread out a little bit on the cookie sheet, so definitely don't make them too thin....

Then it's time to adorn them with a little extra sugar sprinkle and a coffee bean.  I went for one bean on each cookie, but the original recipe called for 3, along with a sprinkle of espresso powder.  I opted to keep things simple.



Into the oven at 375 for 9 minutes.


These definitely weren't the prettiest cookie on the platter.  But I love them. Like really love them.  It's a good thing I gave them all away.  Otherwise I would have eaten every. last. one.


 All in all, it was a good holiday for baking.  I also whipped up a pie:


And oogled over my cat:



I hope you're all having a good week settling in post-holiday.  Enjoy your New Years and Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment