Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chocolate Dipped Salted Almond Biscotti


Happy weekend blog people! My latest cookie endeavor was for my dear friend Kyle's annual Wine Tasting extravaganza night, which entails a mind blowing assortment of culinary bites prepared by her delightful husband Jeff.  Unfortunately, I was too busy eating all the yummy creations to photograph any of them.  Next year I'll have my camera at the ready, because mini beef wellington, meatballs with polenta squares, spicy tuna cucumber wraps and oysters on the half shell definitely deserve some cookie blog highlighting.  Man, was it all delicious.

I knew from past experiences with Jeff's cooking that I was in for some high class stuff, so I decided I would come up with a fancy biscotti with the hopes that it would fit in amongst the other delicacies.  After taking stock of my pantry, I decided to go for an almond biscotti.  Dressed up almond biscotti that is.


Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoon almond extract
2.5 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Chocolate for dipping
Sprinkles and course sea salt for dipping

Details after the jump....



First things first, process your almonds until they are nicely chopped.   Or you could buy chopped almonds, but I wanted to use dry roasted almonds for the extra salt content.  I am a salt FIEND which you may not have guessed from my obvious obsession with sweet baked goods.  My favorite thing, however, is the combo of both sweet and salty.  In your mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar.  Then add the eggs, one at a time, followed by both extracts.


Mix in your dry ingredients until well combined, and lastly add in your roasted almonds.  Then its time to shape your Biscotti logs....



Bake at 300 for about 30 minutes.  They should be set, and pass the toothpick test before you pull them out.  Let the logs cool completely before attempting to slice.  Those of you who read my Candy Shop Biscotti post may recall that I nearly cut my thumb off the last time I sliced these delicious treats.  Handle with care.




Once you've sliced successfully (and hopefully without injury) increase your oven temp to 325 and bake the biscottis on their side for 8 minutes.


Flip and repeat.


Yum.  You could go ahead and call these done at this point.  BUT if you're bringing them to a fancy dinner party you may want to pump . it. up.


I dipped these bad boys in chocolate, followed by a quick dip in a mixture of gold sugar sprinkles and course sea salt.... I love love love the extra salt with these.  yummy.


Then its into the fridge to harden up before the party!


I really really like these!  They kind of remind me of a chocolate covered pretzel.  Good stuff!



Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment