Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Candy Shop Biscotti


Every once in a while I need to do a "pantry clean out" of sorts to take stock of all of my random baking supplies.  More often than not, this ends up spawning some kind of creative cookie idea, once I realize I'm hoarding a certain ingredient, or I need to use leftover supplies to make room etc...  I've made a lot of "chip cookies" as of late, and upon cupboard inspection I discovered a plethora of nearly empty "chip bags" Chocolate chip, butterscotch chip, white chocolate chips and M&M's. 


After some deliberation I figured I would use all of these tasty leftovers together for a super-candy-packed creation.  I dumped them all together, busted out a basic biscotti recipe, and went to work.




Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
random candy mixture


First off, mix together all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl.


Form a "well" in the flour mixture, and add your eggs and egg yolks to the well.  Also add in your vanilla extract.


Mix the eggs and vanilla into the flour, then add in your melted butter and mix until evenly distributed.  The dough will be a bit crumbly at this point.  That's OK.  But if it looks too dry, try adding a couple tablespoons of milk.

Now its candy time!


Form your dough into 3 11 inch long logs.  Flatten out the tops of the logs, as the dough will rise and spread out a bit during baking.  As always, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.


Bake at 325 for about 27-28 minutes, just until the logs are golden brown, and pass the toothpick test.  Allow them to cool off for 15 minutes or so, before attempting to slice.


During the slicing process, there was a tiny bit of drama, whereby I nearly sliced my thumb off with our super sharp serrated bread knife.  Joe had to step in and finish the slicing for me.


Thanks Hubby.


Pop these suckers back in the oven for 8 more minutes.


Flip them over, then back in for a final 8 minutes.



Yum.  I was planning on also dipping these in some chocolate that I had lying around, but after the near thumb-amputation, I lost my motivation.  They were still very tasty, but the chocolate dip would have put them over the edge...


Maybe next time.  Until then, I will be avoiding sharp objects.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment