Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade Oreos with Sprinkles


This weekend I had the pleasure of celebrating the 7th and 8th birthdays of my nieces and nephew, at the Barrile Hacienda. I wanted to bake up something festive and kid friendly (and saw a cool decoration idea on pinterest) and I came up with these yummy little sandwich cookies on the fly.  My thought at first was more of an oreo knock off, but the flavor was more like a whoopie pie.  Kinda like an oreo met a whoopie pie and they fell in love and had sprinkled multi-color babies.


Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Butter Cream:
1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk

I made the dough ahead of time following my normal sugar cookie process.  I basically adapted this recipe to include cocoa powder and all butter (no shortening).  Then it was time to roll out some 1 inch circles for the sandwiches.



Into the oven at 375 for 6-7 minutes.  Then allow them to cool completely.  In the meantime, whip up your buttercream.


...and then prepare your dipping station.....

Then sandwich.....


And dip...


And I actually popped them in the freezer for a couple of minutes so the buttercream could firm up a bit.  It was pretty smushy and they needed to survive a 40 minute car ride....


I wrapped them up in a pretty gold box, and they were birthday ready!


These were pretty good!  I wish they were a little more chocolaty, may have to try to amp that up for net time.  Tasty for sure though!
I left the party a bit early to enjoy a fabulously sunny ski day in Vermont with my darling Auntie and Uncle.  Here's a fun picture.


Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment