Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nutmeg Fleur-de-lis

My latest new cookie recipe experiment was for these soft, spicy nutmeg sugar cookies. I brought them along with me to a girls night last night, and they were well received. The nutmeg seems very seasonal, but bring something a little different than your typical gingerbread or pumpkin cookies for the holidays.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups all purpose flour

Cream together the butter and shortening.

Add in the sugar, nutmeg, salt and baking soda. Blend until well mixed.

Next, add in your egg, vanilla and sour cream. When that's mixed thoroughly, add in your flour, one cup at a time, scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is even.

Roll your dough into 3 large balls, and chill for around 2 hours. I went and watched Harry Potter.

Then I came back to the kitchen and started rolling out the dough. I used my new Fleur de lis cookie cutter I bought at my friend Sarah's cooking store out in Seattle (www.mrscooks.com). Love this place.

These were pretty large cookies, but the recipe makes a lot of dough, so you can still get around 3 dozen out of it.

I wanted to make these a little prettier, but wasn't really up for making a batch of frosting. Instead I went for a little texturing/drawing with a toothpick.


Bake your cookies at 350 for 10 minutes. That was the perfect amount of time.

and enjoy! I dusted mine with a little powdered sugar to add some more sweetness. They came out pretty well, looked gorgeous, but were not very sweet. These are definitely more of a "tea-time" cookie then a dessert cookie.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment