Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Classic Apple Crisp


After spending the last couple of weeks travelling, dog sitting, and baking in my aunts kitchen (apple pie mania day) I was really feeling the need to create something in my own house, just for fun. Baking as therapy. Ahhh.

Anyway, I have an exorbitant amount of apples left over from Pie day, even though we made 10 pies.

Why oh WHY do we always go for the big bag. Every year. We never learn. The small bag would more than suffice, but we just can’t stop ourselves. You can expect at least 2 more apple related posts in October.
I decided I would keep things simple and go with a good old fashioned apple crisp. I even ran out to the store to buy some vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients:
4 tart apples, peeled and sliced
¾ cups brown sugar
½ cup Flour
½ cup oats
1/3 cups butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
First off, peel and chop your apples. This can be a painstaking process, unless of course you have this fabulous little gizmo.

This thing is the bomb. It’s totally one of those cheesy infomercial products but this one is LEGIT. It neatly peeled your apples and leaves you with a pile of pretty coil-shaped skins.



Core and chop your apples. Again, I use a nifty gizmo.



Once your apples are all evenly sliced, spread them out in a greased 8x8 baking dish.

Mix together all your dry ingredients. Pour the melted butter into the mixture and then spread this over the apples in your baking dish.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. A delightful, irresistible aroma of fall will drift through your house. I promise.

Let it cool a little, and enjoy with a big scoop of vanilla. Delish. So good. quicker than a pie with all the payoff.


I polished this off in about 3 seconds. There will absolutely be a round two before bed.
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment