Welcome to The Cookie Monster, a blog about the most marvelous, versatile, and beloved bakeable item in the land: The cookie. You may see occassional forays into pies, bars, and other sweet treats, but my main focus is and has always been on the bite sized genius behind my very favorite snack. Happy Baking!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Banana Crumb Muffins

Happy weekend bloggers!  This weekend was my first "hunting widow" weekend, with Joe off in the woods trying to track down Bambi with a bow and arrow.  The good news is....Joe got a deer!  Which means I will be cooking a ridiculous amount of Venison for the next 6 months.  Venison cookies? maybe not, but I'll figure something out.  Maybe I can bake some kind of meat pie.  hmmm.

Anyway, I was home alone all weekend and I decided to make a sauce from scratch with Joe's Italian Grandmother's recipe.  Delish.  There's wine and whiskey in it.  This is my kind of sauce.

Making this sauce is quite a process, and it required that I stand in and around the kitchen for about 5 hours.  While I waited on my simmering concoction, I couldn't help but bake something.  Why not right?  Since apparently my husband has not been eating his daily banana in his lunchbox, I had a small pile of overripe fruit to work with.  I looked up a quick muffin recipe:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 mashed bananas
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup melted butter

topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Sift together your dry ingredients, then mix (I used a hand mixer) your sugar, butter, egg and mashed bananas.



Slowly pour your flour mixture into your banana mixture and mix on a medium speed until just combined.



Next up, mix together your topping ingredients in a small bowl.  I actually used a pastry blender to cut in the butter.  Then pour your batter into prepared muffin cups, and crumble to topping over the top.


Bake at 375 for 18 minutes.


YUM.


I ate, oh, about 5 of the 10 muffins this recipe yielded.  There are a few left for Joe when he gets home, toting about 70 lbs of deer meat.  OH BOY.  Stay tuned for an odd but hopefully successful combination of baking skill and fresh venison. 

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment